Publicly Offered Workshops
You can sign up for one of our publicly offered workshops. Our workshops in February and March are full but we have two new offerings coming up in May in both Toronto and Dartmouth. If you're interested in participating, just fill out the email form below the course description and we can chat with you about the workshop details and registration process.
Connect: engaging Design and delivery skills
May, 2017, Toronto, ON
about this workshop
This workshop brings the best of what educational psychology and performing arts have to offer to trainers, educators, presenters who want to improve their design and delivery skills. It will help you determine how to design your presentations and workshops for maximum impact and retention. It will help you deliver in a way that brings out your best. Specifically, it will help you:
- Connect with your audience
- Articulate your most important points in interesting ways
- Design your presentations or training for maximum retention
- Engage groups in highly participative discussions
- Incorporate techniques that will help you deliver in an engaging way
- Develop a greater comfort with delivering in your own unique way
why we created this workshop
Whether you present, lecture, lead workshops or teams, you will find this workshop rewarding and fun. We created Connect because we've met too many talented people constrained by design and delivery rules that don't actually exist. (i.e. "I have to use PowerPoint." "I can't appear nervous." "I have to know everything about the subject.") Connect brings together the best of what learning psychology, performing arts and communications have to offer those who want to design and deliver at their best.
Training for Trainers
May, 2017, dartmouth, NS
If you are a trainer or teacher who is interested in how people learn and how you can incorporate educational best practices in your program design and delivery, then this two-day workshop will be of interest to you. Helping learners develop new skill, knowledge and attitude requires more than the ability to deliver an effective lecture. It requires excellent questioning and listening skills. It requires insight into group dynamics. It requires an understanding of how people learn and how to design a learning environment that brings out the best in people.
Our 2-day Training for Trainers Workshop will help you:
- Value the role of effective facilitation skills in creating a successful learning environment
- Design an effective learning process that incorporates variety in learning methods (lecture, discussions, simulations, etc.)
- Facilitate that process effectively by: asking questions that teach, leading effective discussions, responding to questions and comments with purpose and encouraging full participation in the classroom
- Intervene diplomatically in common and challenging classroom dynamics
- Practice and hone your training design and delivery skills
Enrollment in this workshop is limited to 20 participants.
John Beale is a Toronto-based actor, teacher and director. A graduate of the Philippe Gaulier International Theatre School in Paris, John also trained, performed and taught extensively with Shakespeare and Company in Lenox, Massachusetts. He is an artistic associate with reWork Productions in Toronto. He has been conducting performance workshops since 2005. (Just in case you thought I was making him up, here's a picture of my esteemed colleague, Mr. John Beale.)
Alison McEachern is the owner of Groupatwork, a company that specializes in helping people develop their ability to collaborate effectively and engage others through participation. Alison's unique approach to her work has been shaped through 22 years of facilitation and training experience; graduate studies in education and counseling; and her early collaboration with some of Canada's most talented trainers and facilitators. She has delivered training programs for trainers since 1992 through Saint Mary's University, Saint Francis Xavier University, Nova Scotia Community College and Dalhousie University. She has led workshops that have been attended by over 5,000 people throughout the United States and Canada. (I am also a real person. The photo provides some proof.)
Training and curriculum design
We also help many organizations design experiential, active learning training programs. If you and your trainers are struggling with the delivery of one of your courses, we can help you design or redesign it so that both learners and facilitators enjoy delivering it. Some of the services we offer:
- Conducting training needs assessment
- Designing learning objectives and detailed learning plans for facilitators to follow
- Creating workbooks and visual aids
- Developing evaluation tools which measure reaction, learning, transfer and impact
- Training your trainers to deliver effective lectures, lead discussions that teach and intervene diplomatically in common classroom dynamics.
If you would like more information about any of our workshops, design or facilitation services, please send us an email using the form below.